I like to go to the Leclerc website every so often to see what new free weaving drafts they may have posted and was intrigued with the October 2016 project, Huckaback Scarves.
The picture provided didn’t show a lot of detail, but I decided to give it a try. I used 2/8 tencel from Brassards, the colour code on the label is 11646, but I can’t seem to match it up with what is currently available.
The only modification I made was to the length. It states a finished length of 50″ plus fringe, I prefer some much longer and made a 4 yard warp. I also made sure to weave a 1″ border on each end in plain weave to match the edges of the scarf and to give it some stability. I used just under one spool for this scarf.
Below, the colour of the scarf closely resembles the colour of my husbands tractor in the background, completely unintentional.
Below is the scarf with what remains on the spool.
Some time ago I came upon this blog and the beautiful scarf, which I new I had to weave, and now finally have. It is woven in a 2/8 Tencel, the warp is silver and the weft is midnight blue. On the loom the width was 8″, off the loom it is just under 7″. The finished length is about 70″, not including the fringe. I am always amazed how much Tencel changes with wet finishing, from stiff and almost board like, to soft and drapey with a beautiful sheen.
It has been one of the hottest and driest summers for us here in Eastern Ontario. To stay cool (aka staying indoors with air conditioning), I warped the loom for another paper spot scarf (the first one was here).
The warp was 3 yards long and measured 7 3/4″ in the reed. The finished scarf is 72″ long (not including fringe) and is about 7 3/4″ wide. It is woven in 2/8 tencel.
Apparently I was not quite done weaving the crackle scarves, or sampling the orlec, and put on another warp for another two scarves.
This time I chose to do both in the same colour, but two different lengths (on purpose this time), one is about 77″ and the other 107″, not including the fringe. Despite my concern in the previous post about the scarf being too long, it turns out that people really liked the extra long scarf. Another surprise is the orlec. Knitters in my sit ‘n knit group were surprised to find out it was acrylic, not cotton like they thought.
I think I will take a break from the crackle weave and try something else, but I would like to see how they would look in tencel, or silk, or…..
When planning the warp for the snakeskin scarf from my previous post, I decided to put enough on for a second scarf. The draft from the magazine was for one scarf. Easy enough, double everything and add a little for “just in case”.
As I wove the first scarf, I pinned a tape measure to it, carefully measuring my progress. The instructions read to weave for 74″. I stopped at 73″ because I wanted to stop on the last pick of the draft. I advanced the warp to leave enough unwoven for the fringes, encountered a bit of a problem, and decided to cut the first scarf off the loom and retie the remaining warp back on.
Since I was certain my math was correct, I didn’t bother measuring as I wove, my main concern was that I might run short because of this unexpected hiccup, but remembering that I added a bit in the beginning for “just in case”.
So, what does all of this have to do with the heading above? Well, after washing, drying and pressing, my scarf came out at a little over 108″! And that does not include the fringe! So while I am happy that my scarf did not come out too short, did it come out too long? And while the first scarf would be considered a clothing accessory, is this one a statement piece?
Whatever you might call it, I am still happy with the outcome. Now, to work on my math skills.
On the cover of the current issue of Handwoven (May/June 2015) is a scarf woven in a structure known as crackle weave (I believe), but it can also look like or resemble a snakeskin or other reptilian creature (not to my reptilian loving son, however).
At first, I wasn’t drawn to this particular project, but then one of my fellow weavers wove one and I decided to give it a try. First, what to weave it with. Our group was gifted with a couple of bags of weaving yarns, one of them being Orlec, aka acrylic! Those who know me know I like natural fibres, it’s what I carrried in the store, it’s what I carry on-line, but it was the right weight of yarn for the project so that was what I used.
I made a warp, put it on the loom, and began to weave. It behaved nicely, no warp breaks like in the overshot runner project (will discuss this in another post). It was stiff after weaving, but like tencel, after washing, drying and pressing, it became quite drapey. While my preference will always be for natural fibres, I can see a where there is a place for Orlec in a weaver’s repertoire.
with spools of orlec:
In my efforts to expand my weaving repertoire, I am now trying my hand at a weave structure known as Bronson Lace. I am following a draft that can be found here.
I am using 2/8 tencel that is threaded at 24 ends per inch, as called for. This is quite a change from the wool blanket that I finished recently that was woven at just 8 ends per inch.
After some initial hiccups with selvages and treadling, I am finally making some progress.
Tied to Front Apron