Life seems to be busy right now, but I have managed to weave a couple of towels in a draft call Modified Star. A point twill threading and treadling (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2) makes these towels a breeze to weave (when compared to something like overshot).
As usual, I used Venne 2/8 organic cotton for the warp and weft, but used 2/16 for the borders. The warp colour is Royal Blue and white for the stripes, the weft was white as well.
2/8 organic cotton- royal blue and white
warp on the loom and weaving progressing
finished towels showing stripes
Some time ago I came upon this blog and the beautiful scarf, which I new I had to weave, and now finally have. It is woven in a 2/8 Tencel, the warp is silver and the weft is midnight blue. On the loom the width was 8″, off the loom it is just under 7″. The finished length is about 70″, not including the fringe. I am always amazed how much Tencel changes with wet finishing, from stiff and almost board like, to soft and drapey with a beautiful sheen.
A quick shop update.
Now available Cottage Sock Yarn from Fleece Artist, colours currently in stock:
Also new, Handmaiden’s Marrakesh and Sea Lace available in 600g cones. While it may seem indulgent, buying yarn on cones allows you to wind off exactly what you need for your weaving or knitting projects, meaning much less waste of those valuable silks. Create individual hand-dyed warp chains in your desired length for sectional beaming.
Happy knitting and weaving,
Or a shawl. Or a very big scarf.
A few years ago I purchased a skein of hand-dyed boucle from Hidden Touch Yarns, they were a vendor at the OVWSG annual Christmas sale. It has been languishing in my yarn cupboard ever since, waiting to be turned into something.
As it turned out, I had a couple of cones of mohair left over from a throw I did a couple of years ago, I thought the colour of the mohair would go nicely with the boucle.
I decided on a plain rectangular shawl, similar to one I done a couple of years. The mohair was used for the warp, sett at 6 ends per inch, width in the reed was about 27″, and the warp length was 3 yards. I did one pick at each end with the mohair and hemstitched each end as well. The boucle was used for the weft. It was woven plain weave throughout.
Mohair can be difficult to work with, it wants to stick together. I googled for ideas on how to stop this from happening. I read where spray starch may help. I also read where someone suggested mane detangler for horses. I tried the spray starch and a detangler (just not for horses), I would not recommend either one. But what I did find was that if the warp is wound on nice and evenly, you keep your warp very tight, advance your warp frequently, and do a direct tie-up for your harnesses, things move along a lot better.
I may not do another mohair project for awhile, but I am happy with the result. Now, if I could just get a good photograph, this isn’t as long as it looks.
Starting off the new year with a quick knit, mittens. Pattern is Herringbone Mittens with Poms and is available for free on Ravelry. The pattern calls for a worsted weight yarn, however I used Briggs & Little Tuffy, I used 4mm needles for the cuff, and 5mm for hand. I should have nice warm hands for snow shoeing this season.
Our booth is set-up and ready to go for the sale tomorrow.
I’ll be with the MERA Weavers with a few items for sale.